We are looking for a full-time Design Operations Manager based in our London studio.
As part of our inclusive ethos, we advocate skills before degrees. We care about what you’ve done and can do, and not just about your academic credentials. Above all, we’re looking for curiosity, enthusiasm, humility, courage and a can-do mentality.
About the role
The purpose of this role is to support the smooth running of the London studio by looking after the “back office” of our operations, including key functions like resourcing and project management, as well as the physical studio space.
This is a new role for Livework and we have created it with a mix of responsibilities that allow exposure to our entire business. We’re looking for a candidate who has some experience in these domains but is also willing to help shape the role and wants to grow with Livework.
The London studio:
- Look after the studio space, create a warm, welcome and productive environment for the team, and manage the relationships with all related to the studio. Source venues for off-site events and socials when required.
- Be responsible for the London ‘back office’ in procuring and managing inventory of IT equipment, office supplies, etc.
- Ensure a smooth experience for new joiners regarding initial setup at home and in the studio, as well as a smooth exit for our leavers.
The London team:
- Supporting teams with project management – including:
- Financial setup and onboarding for projects
- Project control standards
- Best practices to ensure employee and client satisfaction
- Allocation of team members to projects
- Organise and manage the London business development pipeline, including scouting for opportunities in the digital marketplace, ensuring visibility in the system, as well as managing relevant timelines.
- Development and support of team members relevant to the role, for example, project managers and/or administrative staff through line management.
- The salary range for this role will be £55,000 – 75,000 per year for 5 days/week, depending on your experience.
- 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays; with the option to buy more holidays
- Participation in pension scheme (Livework will match up to 7% of employee contributions); salary sacrifice option available
- Participation in annual profit-sharing bonus scheme; amount based on company and London performance vs. targets.
- Continuous learning – 5 days + £500 of individual personal development funding per annum; and participation in internal and external events and conferences.
- Live/work balance – flexible working hours and work from home based on the needs of the role.
- Time compensation – On the very rare occasion you need to work on a red day, you’ll be reimbursed hour for hour; you’ll also be compensated for other irregular or excessive overtime working. Again we would like to stress this is rare. No organisation is perfect and emergencies happen. But you will be paid for your time.
- Purpose – work for a company with a core purpose that is regenerative, not exploitative/extractive. We care about humans and this planet and our work focus on making things better for both. We believe that value can be measured in ways beyond financial returns.
- International community – work with some of the best designers, agencies, and clients around the world, on exciting cases.
- Growing, independent organisation – you will get to influence the way things get done around here and have a direct impact on our future.
- Have fun – one of our core values is making a productive workplace equally as fun.
- Spend time with great people – work with some inspirational design leaders and interesting and value-aligned people.
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience, including some experience working in consultancies, professional services, or design organisations
- Office management/practice management experience
- Experience managing resourcing functions in a professional services environment
- Highly competent in project management/project control tools and techniques
- Understanding of basic sales pipeline management and professional sales process
- Proficient in various software packages plus adeptness at learning new digital tools quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to truly engage, connect and create trust with colleagues
- Ability to operate at strategic and tactical levels and easily flip between; to help shape the future while operating and continuously improving “the today”
- Flexible, open, creative; great at both driving and adopting change
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with others
- Ability to juggle tasks and elegantly re-plan as required; ability to recognise when help is needed.
- Experience successfully managing and coaching people
- Ability to use network to raise the profile of Livework
A bit about us
We’re 70+ people worldwide, with a clear mission to improve society and business through service design.
We’re a growing organisation, working internationally from locations in Rotterdam, London and Sao Paulo. We’re proud of the work we do, which aims to put human needs that are sustainable at the heart of organisations.
In London, we work for clients like JPMorgan, Girl Guiding, Nesta Challenges, Parliamentary Digital Services, the NHS, The Wellcome Trust… and even an international producer of horseshoes! Diversity of cases is one of the great benefits of being a Liveworker.
Behaviours we value
Respectful, learning and sharing: Respect for all people is at the heart of what we do at Livework, we believe that everyone has a lot to teach and more to learn. We will expect you to display respect for others, to seek to learn from your peers, our clients and the wider world and to share what you know openly.
Service-minded and design results-driven: Livework is obsessed with services, we believe that seeing the service in everything is illuminating – we look for a passion for service in our team. We also believe that design drives real change when we focus design on achieving outcomes for our clients and their customers. The impact we have (not the process) is our ultimate reward.
Humble, bold, empathetic and inclusive: We balance being humble and bold and hope you will be able to do this too. We encourage our team to be bold in their convictions but humble towards the experiences and opinions of others. We expect you to respect and value all forms of diversity.
Optimistic, committed to live/work balance: Optimism is key to our culture, we find opportunities, ideas and solutions for making things better, and infect others with positivity. Also, key to our culture is a good live/work balance, we work hard but ensure that we are healthy and have a life outside work that enriches us. We look for people who get the balance right and love both.
Your next steps
Follow this link to apply, upload your cover letter, CV and answer a few brief questions.
Why do we ask questions? Letters and CVs are interesting, but they aren’t very good at demonstrating individual ability. As part of your application, we’d like you to answer a few questions alongside uploading your CV. We’ll use your answers to these questions in our initial review of the candidates, before inviting you for an interview.
These questions are not something you need to study for. It’s not an exam. They should be questions you can answer naturally because they’re about you, your perspective, and your experience.
The closing date for this role is June 30th, 2022.
You will hear from us!Apply here